Use your imagination and creative spark to shift your perspective while exploring contemporary art. Rewind to the past or fast–forward to the future. Peer through a magnifying glass or gaze through a telescope. Examine an object, landscape, or system. Look through another person’s eyes. By imagining difference and considering alternative perspectives, students will put into play skills of critical thinking, adaptability, and empathy-building as they dynamically connect with and respond to contemporary art. Take an imaginative leap and join our learning and engagement specialists on this interactive 40-minute virtual field trip to SMoCA.
This program addresses the following Arizona Visual Arts Standards for grades 5–12:
- Responding Anchor Standard #7 – Identify and analyze visual characteristics and cultural associations that influence ideas, emotions, actions, and worldviews.
- Responding Anchor Standard #8 – Interpret Intent and Meaning in Artistic Work
Interpret art by analyzing elements and principles of modern art, visual characteristics of diverse cultures, use of media, contextual information, and/or social issues in contemporary art.
- Responding Anchor Standard #9 – Apply Criteria to Evaluate Artistic Work
Develop and apply relevant historical and cultural criteria to evaluate a work of art, exploring how these criteria differ from personal preference.
This program also applies the following core disciplinary skills in history and social science:
- Identify, compare, and evaluate multiple perspectives to draw conclusions
- Utilize multiple perspectives for comprehensive explanations
In addition, the following social emotional learning competencies will also be engaged:
- Self-awareness, or the ability to identify emotions, thoughts, and values
- Social awareness, or the ability to value others’ perspectives and/or to empathize with others
Alt+Shift launches in October 2020. The program will be offered on select Tuesdays between 10:00 a.m. and 4 p.m. and Wednesdays at 10 a.m. using a virtual format.
Please contact CharlotteQ@ScottsdaleArts.org for further information or to make a booking.
For general field trip inquiries please email: Learning@ScottsdaleArts.org